Watch out for companies selling dubious services.
by Andy Scheer
Spam aimed at writers just keeps coming. The other morning I saw: “BECOME AN AWARD WINNING AUTHOR!”
Here’s the full pitch:
The Crafty Possum (name changed) Book Awards Contest is now open for early registration. Enter now and save up to 25%.
- Digital e-book formats only
- No publication date requirement
- Five award levels
- 75+ categories
- Free book review with each primary category
- Win prizes valued up to $5,000!
Use the following links for more information …
The meaning of “award-winning author” just slipped several notches. My sympathy to those who’ve earned genuine awards.
To enter that “contest” regularly costs $70 — but with the amazing discount, only $50.
To be eligible, a manuscript must be converted to an e-book format (a service Crafty Possum happens to offer for “…As Low As $299!”).
The “gold medal winner” in each category receives a passel of stuff tied to Crafty Possum’s services:
- Eligible to win (my italics) 1 of 3 advanced e-book formatting and distribution packages from Crafty Sloth Media ($1,000 value)
- Eligible to win 1 of 3 pro video book trailers from Crafty Slothio
- Eligible to win 1 of 3 express author interviews on the Crafty Sloth Book Podcast on Blog Talk Radio
- 6 months promotion in our featured book section
- Online medal award ceremony
- Gold digital medal for websites and e-book covers
- Print-on-demand personalized certificate
Check your spam filters for details about prizes at the silver, bronze, wood, hay, and stubble levels.